Skip to main content

Top 'o the morning!



   We’re coming up on St. Patrick’s Day, which is pretty much my favorite day in the world. It’s even better when you take a solid week to celebrate. Once I followed the truck full of green beer all the way up 81 to Coleman’s Irish Pub in Syracuse. It wasn’t on purpose. Honest. It was inspiring. We used to talk the priest at my old job into going out for a green beer with us because no decent Irish bartender would charge a man with a collar. We’d ask him to order for us, and he usually obliged for at least a round or two.
   And on top of the green beer, there’s the corned beef and mashed potatoes with onion, celery and carrots. I always doubted whether Dubliners actually eat corned beef on St. Patty’s Day. Probably not. This year I didn’t buy the corned beef, another casualty of moving away from my two oldest. They loved my corned beef and cabbage, and I made it for them every year. Now it’s my husband and I, and God only knows what might happen if we ingest that much fat and starch in one day. My youngest son doesn’t eat meat and already asked if we could celebrate the day by buying St. Patrick a birthday cake at Stop & Shop. He’s Baby Jesus so I didn’t say no.
   What a great holiday though. Delicious food, great Irish music, parades, crazy green clothes, and this year a chance for SU’s basketball team to take the last Big East game. It doesn’t get much better than that. I may go out and buy those fake fingernails and paint them green. That sounds just about perfect.


Tis better to buy a small bouquet

And give to your friend this very day,

Than a bushel of roses white and red

To lay on his coffin after he's dead.


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Careful What You Wish For

                 I have married myself. I don’t know how I did it, but I managed to meet the male version of me, right down to the weight insecurities and the penchant for fart jokes. Between us our combined age is somewhere around 19.                 This brings me great joy.                 I had decided after many long distance phone calls from my sister that I really wasn’t going to meet a nice guy by sitting on the couch in my living room. I needed to get out. “You’re not getting any younger,” she egged me on. “You know, those kids are going to grow up and leave you and then what are you going to do?”                 So one Saturday night I let the kids help doll me u...

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t...

He sells sea shells, I wish

   So now rather than being obsessed with fake fingernails I can’t afford, I’m becoming obsessed with checking this blog. I’m pretty sure all 52 views were made by either me or my husband.   That leads me right into the current situation at hand. We need friends. We’re desperate for them. I’ve started handing out my telephone number to people I meet while doing my meager freelance work. They think it’s for the story I’m writing but really it’s in hope that someday they’ll find a reason to call and then I can hit them with, “By the way, do you play cards? Bingo? Gin Rummy?” If I wasn’t so arthritic I’d throw Twister in there.    It’s not so much for me, it’s my husband who likes to have people around. I have become hermit-like since moving here while he has become convinced we could die here and not be found for months. He had friends back in Syracuse but he chose to stay home at night with his loving wife. Now all of a sudden I get the impression he’d h...