Skip to main content

Can I Get a Witness?

            There’s a sermon here somewhere. What to be thankful for? Everything, pretty much. For children who are alive and body parts that still work.
            Let’s see. I’m living and breathing. My kids and husband are doing the same. I have memories that keep me happy and thinking. I have siblings who keep me guessing and engaged.
            I have a roof over my head and food in my cupboards.
            There are people right here in my town who I know have neither. They keep me hoping and dreaming.
            I’ve got enough food in my pantry right now to feed twenty people tomorrow. The only problem being that I don’t have twenty people coming.
            For years, my best Thanksgivings have been cooking for other people who I know don’t have a place to go. That means a true Thanksgiving to me. Feeding somebody who wouldn’t have otherwise had that great big fat meal I love so much.
            I love all the foods….turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pies of various kinds. It is all so good.
            At the heart of my cooking is this feeling that I need to feed people. I think this comes from my parents. They liked to feed people. We had this great big pot from which came so many soups. They all tasted good…now in my memory. When I was a kid I was not a fan of oxtail soup or beans and ham hocks. That grew on me. Nowadays, I’d love the gift of ham hocks or oxtails. I’d make a hearty soup of my own.
            To this day, soup means love to me — a big ol’ pot that serves a whole lot of people. Like Jesus with the loaves and fishes, the bigger the pot the more people served.
            Like every other year, I have a big turkey and way too many side dishes planned, not to mention the cookies and the pies. It may just be Chris, Dan and me this year; my older two babies aren’t here. For me Thanksgiving is about feeding my babies and any other babies who may show up in my life, no matter their age.
            There’s always something to be thankful for; even it seems like nothing. If you have a breath to take, hey, that’s something to be thankful for. I bet you don’t have to look very far to find something for which you feel gratitude. I know I don’t.

            Peace be with you and thank you for the gift of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Careful What You Wish For

                 I have married myself. I don’t know how I did it, but I managed to meet the male version of me, right down to the weight insecurities and the penchant for fart jokes. Between us our combined age is somewhere around 19.                 This brings me great joy.                 I had decided after many long distance phone calls from my sister that I really wasn’t going to meet a nice guy by sitting on the couch in my living room. I needed to get out. “You’re not getting any younger,” she egged me on. “You know, those kids are going to grow up and leave you and then what are you going to do?”                 So one Saturday night I let the kids help doll me u...

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t...

He sells sea shells, I wish

   So now rather than being obsessed with fake fingernails I can’t afford, I’m becoming obsessed with checking this blog. I’m pretty sure all 52 views were made by either me or my husband.   That leads me right into the current situation at hand. We need friends. We’re desperate for them. I’ve started handing out my telephone number to people I meet while doing my meager freelance work. They think it’s for the story I’m writing but really it’s in hope that someday they’ll find a reason to call and then I can hit them with, “By the way, do you play cards? Bingo? Gin Rummy?” If I wasn’t so arthritic I’d throw Twister in there.    It’s not so much for me, it’s my husband who likes to have people around. I have become hermit-like since moving here while he has become convinced we could die here and not be found for months. He had friends back in Syracuse but he chose to stay home at night with his loving wife. Now all of a sudden I get the impression he’d h...