Skip to main content

I might need a price check

So my husband Chris works three days a week in America, and I’m trying not to take this personally.

He’s commuting Monday mornings on the 6:30 ferry over to Cape Cod, where he works at an upholstery shop in Hyannis, the Mattydale of Cape Cod, for all you Syracuse readers. I stay here and hold down the fort, cooking up a cocktail of frozen pizzas and mac n’ cheese weeknights for my poor Danny. Chris comes back late Thursday night, all giddy over toilet paper prices and quotes on cheaper rent.

No, no, no, and more no I say. I can’t possibly leave all this off-season quiet and high-priced laundry detergent. There’s no convincing me to leave no matter how many times Chris points out that there’s a Trader Joe’s “over there.”

I want to stay here until I miraculously win on one of those $5 scratchers and can buy my own house here. The difference being that I feel confident that I will someday scratch my way to freedom while Chris thinks we’d be smarter to look into a nice rental “over there.”

I’m trying to put a spin on this new way of life, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. There is something to be said for the fact that I do get excited on Thursdays, thinking about Chris coming back home for the weekend. He looks awfully cute to me now, fingers all bandaged from his time stripping furniture on the mainland.

We’re sort of stuffing his time here full of trips to the dump and to the post office for stamps, and a stop at Dairy Queen now that it’s open. “See,” I say, “we’ve got a Dairy Queen here.”

“Well I can get Big Mac over there,” he says. Damn.

And I believe they’re still selling shamrock shakes right now too.
I’ve got no answer for such significant arguments. I only know that this crazy tourist-filled at least three-months-a-year place becomes more and more my own with each month that I live here. I can’t say that it’s rational, and I can’t even say it’s a good idea. All I know is that it feels like home for now. But who knows, I have a pattern; every five years I like to rethink my options. I got my sights on Nova Scotia.


Comments

Deb said…
Puck Chatterson and I LOVE us some Nova Scotia. We've been the past two summers. Kind people, seafood chowder, beaches, and no Trump. No Trader Joes, but we can live without it.

Popular posts from this blog

Be Careful What You Wish For

                 I have married myself. I don’t know how I did it, but I managed to meet the male version of me, right down to the weight insecurities and the penchant for fart jokes. Between us our combined age is somewhere around 19.                 This brings me great joy.                 I had decided after many long distance phone calls from my sister that I really wasn’t going to meet a nice guy by sitting on the couch in my living room. I needed to get out. “You’re not getting any younger,” she egged me on. “You know, those kids are going to grow up and leave you and then what are you going to do?”                 So one Saturday night I let the kids help doll me u...

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t...

Fancy Pants

Couple of things I heard this week: “We need to clean the toilet” and “I’ll pay for it.” The latter was in reference to paying $150 to get my hair dyed. Neither one of these made me feel good about myself.          First off, I know of exactly zero men who are good about cleaning a toilet. And I know of even fewer who give a crap if the toilet is actually clean.          That one single comment set me to thinking.          Mostly that I might kick said person’s ass for even saying something so outlandish. Seriously, who’s going to actually clean a dirty toilet other than a wife, girlfriend or mother? I see no fathers, uncles or brothers in this scenario.          Secondly the person who said she’d pay full price on Martha’s Vineyard to get my hair dyed is my daughter. Apparently I’m looking a little worse for wear. ...