Skip to main content

Dr. Doolittle, I presume?



   I don’t think I’ve ever lived in a place where so many people bring their dogs to work. The new pope would love this place. Wild turkeys run the neighborhood and you can’t go into a store without finding man’s best friend somewhere on the premises. I’m not complaining. In fact, it really just goes along with the vibe here – sort of a canine “don’t worry, be happy” attitude.
   I’ve never been a great “pet” person. I wish I was. I wished I was when I was 9 years old and I’m still wishing. My parents always used to say, “Wish in one hand, shit in the other.” That saying has puzzled me for years too. Anyway, I think it may have started back when I was a little girl and my parents let me bring home one of the pups of my grandparents' gargantuan Great Dane, Bridget. Their other dog was named General and you had to throw his food over the fence to feed him. He was a boxer I believe. I was terrified of him. I think if memory serves me correctly – and I think we all know that’s iffy – Bridget and General were the parents of the puppies and I brought mine home and named him Jip.
  If you’ve ever read the Marmaduke comics, you have a pretty good idea of what Jip was like. He was big and he was goofy. Anytime we left him alone, he destroyed property. Every single time. Poor guy probably just didn’t want to be left alone and that was long before crates were popular, and I’m not sure they made them big enough for Jip.
   I remember a particularly bad incident when Jip chewed the fur collar off Mom’s best coat. Another time he had a wrestling match with a feather pillow. Jip liked to put his paws up on the countertop and drink straight from the kitchen faucet. I don’t know if he just wasn’t trainable or with four kids and full time jobs, our parents just didn’t have it in them. Whatever the issue was, my parents decided it was best to find a home for Jip where he could run around outside like the colt that he truly was. It was sad, though. Even Mom shed a tear when the new owner took Jip home with him. Did I mention Jip also feasted on an entire set of encyclopedias? I don’t remember which offense was the last straw, but there was definitely one that broke the camel’s back.
   Years later, when my parents were older and my baby brother Eric wanted a dog, they picked out a Great Dane puppy and named her Dodo after my mom’s nickname. That dog could do no wrong, much like my little brother. She lived to be 10 or 11. One of my fondest memories of Dodo was when I came home from college for a visit and Dodo had delivered a puppy. Just one, I believe there had been another but it didn’t make it. A huge Great Dane and she had one live puppy. It was the only time she got pregnant and I don’t think my parents ever figured out how it happened. She was an older mother though, and didn’t have much use for her puppy. My parents didn’t tell me about Dodo’s puppy until I got home for the weekend. I nearly fainted. Mom and Dad didn’t even know Dodo was pregnant. She went into labor and my mom called Dad home from work. My brothers and sister loved the fact that one of us could have walked home dragging a bloody stump and my dad would never have left a job to come home early. Dodo goes into labor and he clocked out and came home.
   So I don’t have a great pet history. We left behind a beautiful terribly-behaved St. Bernard when we came here. We knew we weren’t likely to find a rental receptive to a huge dog. And he really had never been properly trained – completely my fault – and would go after other dogs turning a little bit into Cujo. We found him a great home before we moved but it took a lot out of our family. He may not have been well behaved but he was certainly well loved. I’m not sure when we’ll be ready to try again, but for now we’re happy to pet other people’s pets.
   This reminds me a little bit of my good friend Danielle’s son, Jonah. He was about five years old and wanted to show me his new fish or his new tree frog, I can’t remember which. And I hope it wasn’t his fish now that I think about it because I was left in charge of feeding it when their family went on vacation and I apparently sucked at that as well because the fish was dead when they got home. Anyway, I digress. Little Jonah turned and said to me on the way up the stairs to his room, “We’re not really pet people.” I have to admit, I’m not either. 

    Who loves me loves my dog also. — St. Bernard de Clairvaux

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He sells sea shells, I wish

   So now rather than being obsessed with fake fingernails I can’t afford, I’m becoming obsessed with checking this blog. I’m pretty sure all 52 views were made by either me or my husband.   That leads me right into the current situation at hand. We need friends. We’re desperate for them. I’ve started handing out my telephone number to people I meet while doing my meager freelance work. They think it’s for the story I’m writing but really it’s in hope that someday they’ll find a reason to call and then I can hit them with, “By the way, do you play cards? Bingo? Gin Rummy?” If I wasn’t so arthritic I’d throw Twister in there.    It’s not so much for me, it’s my husband who likes to have people around. I have become hermit-like since moving here while he has become convinced we could die here and not be found for months. He had friends back in Syracuse but he chose to stay home at night with his loving wife. Now all of a sudden I get the impression he’d hightail it out of here a

Christmas Stockings

     In case you haven’t noticed, Christmas is coming. All the winter holidays are coming, and we can’t even escape.      Usually by this time I've made a trip to Walmart, off the island of course, and purchased plenty of wrapping paper, tape, pajama pants, toothbrushes, and Hershey Kisses to stuff at least ten stockings.            This year, we opted to spend our reserves going to Maine in October, a decision I thought we might regret come December. But I don’t really regret it. My children are what I would call “grown-assed kids” now, and I don’t worry about the stuff under the tree as much. Unfortunately for them.            I still love Christmas though. It’s not even about presents, although my grown-assed children still gather under the tree Christmas morning. (And I will do everything within my power to see to it that they continue to do this until they reach the age of 72.)            There’s just something about it all. The togetherness. The quantity of dip I prepare

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t