Skip to main content

Go-Go Boots and Me



   When I was in fourth or fifth grade all I wanted was a pair of white go-go boots. I didn’t want the short ankle boots that looked cowgirlesque. I wanted the kind women dancing in cages wore. The kind my older sister wore.
   I finally got them, but the process was no cake walk.
   I am nine years younger than my sister, and she was a cross between Nancy Sinatra and Maria from The Sound of Music to me. Our mother sewed a couple of short dresses with bell sleeves that went along with her boots for a “gig” my sister had when she was a sophomore at St. Catherine of Laboure High School. I wanted a gig.
   At that time though, my gig was walking to Most Holy Name of Jesus School with our brother, Steve. He was in eighth grade and I was in first grade. He used to ply me with candy from the corner store so that I wouldn’t tell our parents that he had to stay after. Needless to say, that candy train ran out of licorice and I eventually turned him in, something I'm still not proud of.
   The clarity of my childhood comes and goes, but I do remember my brother thinking it was a good idea to stuff the ass of his pants with pot holders so it wouldn’t hurt when he got a beating. Beating is maybe a strong word, but my mostly even-keeled father could fly off the handle at my brother. I used to think the girls were for dad and the boys were for mom. Either way, we all drew the short end of the stick at some point.
   Back to the go-go boots.
   I wanted them. My friends had them and I pined for them. Granted my friends were dorks, but by God, they had go-go boots.
   Like most things in my life, eventually I get the thing I covet. It usually takes me about 30 years. The go-go boots were an exception.
    I begged my way into a pair. We got to Hill Brothers finally. My dad was assigned the task of taking me to get the boots. Remember, I didn’t want the leathery kind with texture. I wanted the shiny patent leather boots that went up my calf.
   After a brief stop at Jenneman’s bar for a little fortification, my dad was ready for the task.
   I don’t remember the trying on or the purchasing, which I may have blocked out due to the embarrassment of a parent watching me try something on, but I distinctly remember the boots. They looked much better a few years before on my teenage sister. There’s nothing pretty about an 11 year old in go-go boots.
    To make matters worse, after owning them for about a week they looked like I had walked through a field of tires. Black scuff marks everywhere. Luckily, I had friends in the know who explained to me that it was best to take a little Comet and a wet paper towel to the scuff marks.
   I examined those boots nightly, looking for the black slashes that showed up around the bottom. I got the Comet out from under the kitchen sink and diligently scrubbed the marks away.
   It was quite a process.
   Trouble was, once I got those boots they sort of became a pain in the ass and weren’t very glamorous at all. Just one more thing to clean with Comet.
   Isn’t that the way it is, though? We think we want something and then we get it and it’s never quite what we imagined.

   Any so-called material thing that you want is merely a symbol: you want it not for itself, but because it will content your spirit for the moment. – Mark Twain
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He sells sea shells, I wish

   So now rather than being obsessed with fake fingernails I can’t afford, I’m becoming obsessed with checking this blog. I’m pretty sure all 52 views were made by either me or my husband.   That leads me right into the current situation at hand. We need friends. We’re desperate for them. I’ve started handing out my telephone number to people I meet while doing my meager freelance work. They think it’s for the story I’m writing but really it’s in hope that someday they’ll find a reason to call and then I can hit them with, “By the way, do you play cards? Bingo? Gin Rummy?” If I wasn’t so arthritic I’d throw Twister in there.    It’s not so much for me, it’s my husband who likes to have people around. I have become hermit-like since moving here while he has become convinced we could die here and not be found for months. He had friends back in Syracuse but he chose to stay home at night with his loving wife. Now all of a sudden I get the impression he’d hightail it out of here a

Christmas Stockings

     In case you haven’t noticed, Christmas is coming. All the winter holidays are coming, and we can’t even escape.      Usually by this time I've made a trip to Walmart, off the island of course, and purchased plenty of wrapping paper, tape, pajama pants, toothbrushes, and Hershey Kisses to stuff at least ten stockings.            This year, we opted to spend our reserves going to Maine in October, a decision I thought we might regret come December. But I don’t really regret it. My children are what I would call “grown-assed kids” now, and I don’t worry about the stuff under the tree as much. Unfortunately for them.            I still love Christmas though. It’s not even about presents, although my grown-assed children still gather under the tree Christmas morning. (And I will do everything within my power to see to it that they continue to do this until they reach the age of 72.)            There’s just something about it all. The togetherness. The quantity of dip I prepare

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t