Skip to main content

Go-Go Boots and Me



   When I was in fourth or fifth grade all I wanted was a pair of white go-go boots. I didn’t want the short ankle boots that looked cowgirlesque. I wanted the kind women dancing in cages wore. The kind my older sister wore.
   I finally got them, but the process was no cake walk.
   I am nine years younger than my sister, and she was a cross between Nancy Sinatra and Maria from The Sound of Music to me. Our mother sewed a couple of short dresses with bell sleeves that went along with her boots for a “gig” my sister had when she was a sophomore at St. Catherine of Laboure High School. I wanted a gig.
   At that time though, my gig was walking to Most Holy Name of Jesus School with our brother, Steve. He was in eighth grade and I was in first grade. He used to ply me with candy from the corner store so that I wouldn’t tell our parents that he had to stay after. Needless to say, that candy train ran out of licorice and I eventually turned him in, something I'm still not proud of.
   The clarity of my childhood comes and goes, but I do remember my brother thinking it was a good idea to stuff the ass of his pants with pot holders so it wouldn’t hurt when he got a beating. Beating is maybe a strong word, but my mostly even-keeled father could fly off the handle at my brother. I used to think the girls were for dad and the boys were for mom. Either way, we all drew the short end of the stick at some point.
   Back to the go-go boots.
   I wanted them. My friends had them and I pined for them. Granted my friends were dorks, but by God, they had go-go boots.
   Like most things in my life, eventually I get the thing I covet. It usually takes me about 30 years. The go-go boots were an exception.
    I begged my way into a pair. We got to Hill Brothers finally. My dad was assigned the task of taking me to get the boots. Remember, I didn’t want the leathery kind with texture. I wanted the shiny patent leather boots that went up my calf.
   After a brief stop at Jenneman’s bar for a little fortification, my dad was ready for the task.
   I don’t remember the trying on or the purchasing, which I may have blocked out due to the embarrassment of a parent watching me try something on, but I distinctly remember the boots. They looked much better a few years before on my teenage sister. There’s nothing pretty about an 11 year old in go-go boots.
    To make matters worse, after owning them for about a week they looked like I had walked through a field of tires. Black scuff marks everywhere. Luckily, I had friends in the know who explained to me that it was best to take a little Comet and a wet paper towel to the scuff marks.
   I examined those boots nightly, looking for the black slashes that showed up around the bottom. I got the Comet out from under the kitchen sink and diligently scrubbed the marks away.
   It was quite a process.
   Trouble was, once I got those boots they sort of became a pain in the ass and weren’t very glamorous at all. Just one more thing to clean with Comet.
   Isn’t that the way it is, though? We think we want something and then we get it and it’s never quite what we imagined.

   Any so-called material thing that you want is merely a symbol: you want it not for itself, but because it will content your spirit for the moment. – Mark Twain
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I might need a price check

So my husband Chris works three days a week in America, and I’m trying not to take this personally.
He’s commuting Monday mornings on the 6:30 ferry over to Cape Cod, where he works at an upholstery shop in Hyannis, the Mattydale of Cape Cod, for all you Syracuse readers. I stay here and hold down the fort, cooking up a cocktail of frozen pizzas and mac n’ cheese weeknights for my poor Danny. Chris comes back late Thursday night, all giddy over toilet paper prices and quotes on cheaper rent.
No, no, no, and more no I say. I can’t possibly leave all this off-season quiet and high-priced laundry detergent. There’s no convincing me to leave no matter how many times Chris points out that there’s a Trader Joe’s “over there.”
I want to stay here until I miraculously win on one of those $5 scratchers and can buy my own house here. The difference being that I feel confident that I will someday scratch my way to freedom while Chris thinks we’d be smarter to look into a nice rental “over there.…

Library lady

So today a co-worker who is — let’s just be honest here — 70 years old, gave me a serious run for my money at the library. Some guy was looking for a specific movie, which just happened to be located on the very bottom shelf, and I did one of those pretend searches for it on the middle shelf. She walks over and squats down like she’s going to give birth in some Third World country and finds it in two seconds. Again, here we are. Now I’m at home tearing open the cardboard box of a frozen pizza and she’s obviously at home on a rubber mat touching her big toe to her nose.      I regularly call the doctor to renew my prescription for muscle relaxers, while it seems like the rest of the women on this ridiculously fit island drink hot tea and take a warm bath for their yoga-stressed muscles. Thank God my teeth are relatively good.
     It’s not easy to work with women your age and older who think nothing of drinking spinach shakes and lugging all kinds of crap around. If I tried half the…

Getting well takes baby steps

So I’ve had what you could call a case of the pneumonia. It was not pleasant. And to top it off it happened in San Antonio, Texas. Like I wasn’t sweating before the fever.
I was there to see my niece Michelle, who by the way kept asking me, “Are you going to write about this?” which is funny because she’s a writer too. I naturally said, “Oh no, of course not.” And here we are.
Thinking back, the best part of that trip teeters between meeting my two great-nephews, Oliver and Isaac, and having a couple of beers with their Yaya, my sister, who I haven’t had beers with in decades. Like I said, it’s a toss-up. There’s also the fact that I got to spend time with my niece’s husband Alex. He’s a hardcore military guy. He teaches other military guys how to be military policemen. I’m not going to gamble on writing anything about him. He’s from Wisconsin though, which I like. And he likes to cook, which I also like.
I thought to myself before I ever left my nice cocoon of Martha’s Vineyard to tra…