Skip to main content

Aging Acumen?

When I was making wedding plans (I mean the most recent wedding), Danny typed to me, “On such an extraordinary occasion I believe I must wear a tuxedo.”
That may be my favorite sentence ever.
         Therefore, let me say, “Upon the impending celebration of my birth, I am glad to be alive and I shall wear a shade of gray,” at least as far as my hair is concerned.
         Let me just throw out that famous question at the same time: At what point shall I wear purple with a red hat that doesn’t go?
         I feel like my time is now.
         My hairdresser Seniel is a great influence. She waves her scissors about like Johnny Depp and says, “I know what to do. Let’s do a little something…” I told her today that my birthday is tomorrow and if she had a tattoo parlor next door, I would have stopped by there on my way home from getting my haircut. I think a little “JCDC” for James, Cate, Dan, and Chris penned on my wrist or ankle (cankle) is in order on this “extraordinary occasion.”
         The older I get, the more freedom I feel. And the more I wish I would’ve figured this out decades ago. And the more I wonder why didn’t I?
         Ah, there are so many things my friends, that no one tells us.
         Number one in my book is: Never, ever care about what other people think when it comes to finding your happiness. Okay, unless you’re Hitler or something.
         Number two: Wear whatever the hell you want.
         Number three: Never listen to country music unless it was popular before 1960.
         Number four: Always order guacamole with your nachos. Life is too damn short to do otherwise and you know you want it.
         Number five: Take time to write down the recipe for any cake your aunt used to make.
         Number six: Kiss your husband (or partner) for no reason, especially if he/she appears to be slightly annoyed.
         Number seven: Meet your neighbors. Just walk over and do it. My husband does this and I am jealous every time he does it.
         Number eight: Love your children no matter what choices they make.
         Number nine: Remember that your parents did the best they could with what they had . . . and hope that your children think the same of you.
         Number ten: Find your Zen, your God, your Mojo, whoever, whatever it is that means your quiet place.
         That’s what I got for you on this day before my 54th birthday. God knows I hope I can share some more old lady wisdom next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He sells sea shells, I wish

   So now rather than being obsessed with fake fingernails I can’t afford, I’m becoming obsessed with checking this blog. I’m pretty sure all 52 views were made by either me or my husband.   That leads me right into the current situation at hand. We need friends. We’re desperate for them. I’ve started handing out my telephone number to people I meet while doing my meager freelance work. They think it’s for the story I’m writing but really it’s in hope that someday they’ll find a reason to call and then I can hit them with, “By the way, do you play cards? Bingo? Gin Rummy?” If I wasn’t so arthritic I’d throw Twister in there.    It’s not so much for me, it’s my husband who likes to have people around. I have become hermit-like since moving here while he has become convinced we could die here and not be found for months. He had friends back in Syracuse but he chose to stay home at night with his loving wife. Now all of a sudden I get the impression he’d hightail it out of here a

Christmas Stockings

     In case you haven’t noticed, Christmas is coming. All the winter holidays are coming, and we can’t even escape.      Usually by this time I've made a trip to Walmart, off the island of course, and purchased plenty of wrapping paper, tape, pajama pants, toothbrushes, and Hershey Kisses to stuff at least ten stockings.            This year, we opted to spend our reserves going to Maine in October, a decision I thought we might regret come December. But I don’t really regret it. My children are what I would call “grown-assed kids” now, and I don’t worry about the stuff under the tree as much. Unfortunately for them.            I still love Christmas though. It’s not even about presents, although my grown-assed children still gather under the tree Christmas morning. (And I will do everything within my power to see to it that they continue to do this until they reach the age of 72.)            There’s just something about it all. The togetherness. The quantity of dip I prepare

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t