Skip to main content

Retro Roast Beef?

            I just bought a roasting pan, the black one with white flecks. It is almost identical to the one I grew up with. I’m 54 and this makes me ever so happy.
            I am not sure that a beef roast evokes such strong memories in everyone.
            Growing up, we had roast on many a Sunday at home, or when I was very young, a roast at my grandma’s house on Sunday. That was the best meal of the week.
            The whole process today of searing the meat, cooking the onions, carrots, and mushrooms in a little red wine before they went into the big roasting pan, the whole thing was awesome.
            Right now, it’s all sitting in that fantabulous roasting pan at 325 degrees and I know better than I know my name, that shit will be delicious.
            What was it that made me not go out and buy a twenty-dollar roasting pan about 25 years ago? Why is it so important that it’s taken me my whole life to make that purchase?
            It’s been nothing to spend $100 at a time at Walmart or Target on deodorant, toilet paper, and laundry detergent for the past 30 years. I don’t know why that stupid roasting pan was so hard to buy.
            Now that I know it will provide dividends for years to come, unlike a stick of deodorant or toilet paper, I’m even more curious.
            I just served the roast beef surrounded by potatoes and carrots smothered in gravy. I could not be more proud. Some people carry a legacy filled with business acumen or a really big inheritance. I am completely happy to finally know that I can roast a hank of meat as well as my dad did. I did not fall far from his tree. Or my mom’s tree, for that matter. I can flare my nostrils like it’s nobody’s business and I pity the person who thinks they can prove me wrong. Hell, no.
            Now that I’m 54, I revel in all of this. I see no wrong in the way I react to a situation the way my parents did. I see no conflict between myself and my parents, especially Doris, my mom.
            When I was 18 this was not the case.
            If I said A, she’d say B.
            If I said B, she’d say A.
            We were not on the same page, which is why it’s so ironic so many decades later that I can totally read her page.
            Doris was (is) my idea of the ultimate strong woman. She didn’t shit around, as she’d gladly tell you. She calculated the income taxes of our family and the families of her siblings. She worked for the IRS and the post office, and she had all of a tenth-grade education. I still wish sometimes that those government jobs were easier to get these days. She took it step by step with sheer determination and her own innate intelligence. Like I like to say, you didn’t mess with her.
            So much later I know now that her intensity about saving for a new refrigerator or a dryer really reflected her own ability and desire to make it all work. Back then I just thought she was an idiot who was obsessed with having a brown refrigerator to match the stove.
            More than anything I wish I could have five more minutes with my mom so I could tell her I get it now, so many years later.
            Thankfully, in my heart, I know she already knows that. The best part might be that I hope beyond hope that my own daughter buys a roasting pan when she's 54, or maybe even when she's 34.


           
           

            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I might need a price check

So my husband Chris works three days a week in America, and I’m trying not to take this personally.
He’s commuting Monday mornings on the 6:30 ferry over to Cape Cod, where he works at an upholstery shop in Hyannis, the Mattydale of Cape Cod, for all you Syracuse readers. I stay here and hold down the fort, cooking up a cocktail of frozen pizzas and mac n’ cheese weeknights for my poor Danny. Chris comes back late Thursday night, all giddy over toilet paper prices and quotes on cheaper rent.
No, no, no, and more no I say. I can’t possibly leave all this off-season quiet and high-priced laundry detergent. There’s no convincing me to leave no matter how many times Chris points out that there’s a Trader Joe’s “over there.”
I want to stay here until I miraculously win on one of those $5 scratchers and can buy my own house here. The difference being that I feel confident that I will someday scratch my way to freedom while Chris thinks we’d be smarter to look into a nice rental “over there.…

Library lady

So today a co-worker who is — let’s just be honest here — 70 years old, gave me a serious run for my money at the library. Some guy was looking for a specific movie, which just happened to be located on the very bottom shelf, and I did one of those pretend searches for it on the middle shelf. She walks over and squats down like she’s going to give birth in some Third World country and finds it in two seconds. Again, here we are. Now I’m at home tearing open the cardboard box of a frozen pizza and she’s obviously at home on a rubber mat touching her big toe to her nose.      I regularly call the doctor to renew my prescription for muscle relaxers, while it seems like the rest of the women on this ridiculously fit island drink hot tea and take a warm bath for their yoga-stressed muscles. Thank God my teeth are relatively good.
     It’s not easy to work with women your age and older who think nothing of drinking spinach shakes and lugging all kinds of crap around. If I tried half the…

Getting well takes baby steps

So I’ve had what you could call a case of the pneumonia. It was not pleasant. And to top it off it happened in San Antonio, Texas. Like I wasn’t sweating before the fever.
I was there to see my niece Michelle, who by the way kept asking me, “Are you going to write about this?” which is funny because she’s a writer too. I naturally said, “Oh no, of course not.” And here we are.
Thinking back, the best part of that trip teeters between meeting my two great-nephews, Oliver and Isaac, and having a couple of beers with their Yaya, my sister, who I haven’t had beers with in decades. Like I said, it’s a toss-up. There’s also the fact that I got to spend time with my niece’s husband Alex. He’s a hardcore military guy. He teaches other military guys how to be military policemen. I’m not going to gamble on writing anything about him. He’s from Wisconsin though, which I like. And he likes to cook, which I also like.
I thought to myself before I ever left my nice cocoon of Martha’s Vineyard to tra…