Skip to main content

Guilty Pleasure


     I have a secret fascination. Well, actually I probably have more than one, but for our purposes I’m just delving into one here. I like to look at the unsavory entertainment news on the internet. The worldwide web. There you have it.
     If any of the Jackson family cousins are staying at Michael’s old Neverland Ranch, I’ll follow that story. When Khloe Kardashian talks about her marriage to Lamar, I’m all over it. Somebody unearths some dirt on Jack Nicholson, I knew it yesterday. How long has Jeff Bridges been married to his wife Susan? Wait for it…coming up on 40 years.
     I’m not proud of this, but it is a fact.
     I know I’m a semi-educated 55-year-old woman who should be worried about the way people in Burma are treated, but instead I know a whole lot more about Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively.
     I’m hoping to God that I’m not the only one who checks Yahoo before I butter my flax seed toast. And if I am, what a loser. I blame technology. I don’t remember caring at all what gowns the actresses at awards shows wore before the internet.
     I do remember hearing about Elvis’ demise with my sister in the middle of Schnuck’s in Arnold, Missouri. It didn’t go well. When Jim Croce died in 1973, I was about to turn 13. You can imagine my heartache when I heard it on the radio. Remember those?
     I used to have posters taped to the walls of my teenaged bedroom with that Scotch tape that always turned yellow. Al Pacino in Serpico. Dan Fogelberg with some kind of feather in his hand. And Joe Morgan sliding into third. Did you know Dan Fogelberg died in 2007? That one hit me hard.
     I’ll never get over the fact that Johnny Cash died on my birthday. September 12, 2003. I was a mere 42 and my father had died not long before, so Johnny’s death left me a complete mess. I was a little shook up when Jackie Gleason died back in the 1980s. Johnny Cash and Jackie Gleason always remind me of my dad. And Johnny Carson. When me and my daughter Cate landed in Manhattan a year ago when we went to see my son James, I saw that statue of Ralph Kramden outside the Port Authority and I fell to pieces. Cate didn’t know what to do. I don’t think she was completely surprised though. I reacted the same way a year earlier at the Johnny Cash museum in Nashville. This is a woman who tears up at the grocery store when I see a bottle of Wishbone Italian salad dressing because it’s what we always used when I was a kid.
     I know it doesn’t make sense. I don’t even know these people. It must be what they represent, the memories I have of them all. Sitting in the living room watching Jackie Gleason on that big old console television in the living room and watching my dad laugh at him. When I was in high school I’d stay up late and watch The Johnny Carson Show with my dad, a nod to my new-found maturity. It was dark in the house and my mom and little brother were in bed. That show was something we had together.
     This does not explain why I check Yahoo now, I know. Maybe it’s my memories that compel me to click on the Yahoo site on my highfalutin’ laptop. I have no emotional connection to Michael Jackson or Khloe Kardashian, and yet I know way too much about them. Maybe I should start thinking about New Year’s resolutions now.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He sells sea shells, I wish

   So now rather than being obsessed with fake fingernails I can’t afford, I’m becoming obsessed with checking this blog. I’m pretty sure all 52 views were made by either me or my husband.   That leads me right into the current situation at hand. We need friends. We’re desperate for them. I’ve started handing out my telephone number to people I meet while doing my meager freelance work. They think it’s for the story I’m writing but really it’s in hope that someday they’ll find a reason to call and then I can hit them with, “By the way, do you play cards? Bingo? Gin Rummy?” If I wasn’t so arthritic I’d throw Twister in there.    It’s not so much for me, it’s my husband who likes to have people around. I have become hermit-like since moving here while he has become convinced we could die here and not be found for months. He had friends back in Syracuse but he chose to stay home at night with his loving wife. Now all of a sudden I get the impression he’d hightail it out of here a

Christmas Stockings

     In case you haven’t noticed, Christmas is coming. All the winter holidays are coming, and we can’t even escape.      Usually by this time I've made a trip to Walmart, off the island of course, and purchased plenty of wrapping paper, tape, pajama pants, toothbrushes, and Hershey Kisses to stuff at least ten stockings.            This year, we opted to spend our reserves going to Maine in October, a decision I thought we might regret come December. But I don’t really regret it. My children are what I would call “grown-assed kids” now, and I don’t worry about the stuff under the tree as much. Unfortunately for them.            I still love Christmas though. It’s not even about presents, although my grown-assed children still gather under the tree Christmas morning. (And I will do everything within my power to see to it that they continue to do this until they reach the age of 72.)            There’s just something about it all. The togetherness. The quantity of dip I prepare

Life of the Party

   So I picked out my funeral music years ago. It features Steppenwolf in the forefront. I'm pretty sure I can think of some Syracuse priests who would bend a couple of rules and blast some Magic Carpet Ride for me. Believe me, they've done worse. That's why I love them. Anywho, I do spend more than a little time thinking about how I'd like my "after party" to play out. I'm nothing if not morbid. These things are important to me.    First of all, I want a kegger. Absofuckinglutely. And I want there to be all manner of food just like I like it. Huge portions, bottomless red plastic cups. You get the picture. The music is key and must include Steppenwolf, a fantastic Motown medley, Mony Mony, maybe a Monkees song, a little Led Zeppelin and definitely some Levon Helm. And if there's time left and people are feeling sappy, a couple of Van Morrison songs. I'm thinking as I write this that I want to go to this party. Jeez.    And you know I'll be t